I make almond milk all the time. I tried making almond pulp crackers and, honestly, they weren’t for me. So, I stopped making them and then the almond pulp started to stack up. It was getting really bad actually. I had ample amounts in the freezer, fresh in the fridge with and found myself with almond pulp coming out of my ears!
I needed to deal with this situation. And, knowing me, I wasn’t throwing anything away. What a waste of expensive almonds! So, the recipe developing began. I can say with absolute confidence that I have nailed this one on the head. These muffins are delicious, scrumptious, and healthy. Win, win, win!
To Make Basic Almond Milk:
- 1 cup almonds
- Additional 4 cups water after soaking
1. Put the almonds in a bowl. Cover with water. Let soak overnight or for 6-8 hours.
2. Drain the almonds. Put them in a high powered blender with 4 cups of water. Blend for 3-5 minutes.
3. Strain through a cheese cloth or a nut milk bag. Keep the almond pulp in the fridge up to 3 days or put it in the freezer. The milk will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Gluten Free Almond Pulp Blueberry Muffins:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Scant 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup almond pulp (from one batch of almond milk)
- 1 TBP chia seeds
- 105g buckwheat flour (0.87 cups, 205 mL, or about 2/3 cup + 3 TBP)
- 105g tapioca flour (0.87 cups, 205mL, or about 2/3 cup +3 TBP)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 2 tsp vinegar (DO NOT add until very last)
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the almond pulp, chia seeds, buckwheat flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and sea salt.
3. In a pot, over medium heat, add in the honey and oil. Melt the oil and honey together. Once melted, turn the heat off.
4. In another bowl crack in the eggs, milk, vanilla extract. DO NOT add the vinegar yet. Add in the honey/oil mixture, a little bit at a time, while constantly stirring so the eggs don’t curdle.
5. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Add in the blueberries, stir. Add in the vinegar, stir. Immediately pour batter into the muffin tin and get into the oven as quick as possible. The vinegar helps the muffins rise as soon as the vinegar is added to the batter.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean when dipped into the centre of the muffin.